The tech community is debating the question of whether to use a responsive website or a native mobile app.
The answer is, “it depends.” Before deciding, ask who the user is and what do they want to do? Once you know, the information below can help you determine which technology to use.
A website or web app that automatically adjusts to display properly on different devices (i.e., computer, tablet, and smartphone)
Native Mobile App
An app for a specific mobile platform (i.e., Apple iOS or Google Android)
Questions to help you decide
- Do you have limited resources (e., personnel, time and money)? responsive web
- Does the app need to use smart phone capabilities (e., camera, GPS and accelerometer)? native mobile app
- Do you need the information to be accessible on all devices and platforms (e., PCs, tablets, iOS, Android and Windows)? responsive web
- Do you need the content to be accessible offline (e., no Internet connection)? native mobile app
- Do you need to push notifications to users? native mobile app
Future of apps: progressive web apps combine the benefits of responsive web and mobile apps. This new technology has limitations, but is an exciting possibility.
If you’d like to discuss your options, please contact us. We’re here to help.